Joseph Morris, clarinetist, has been praised for his “liquid clarinet sound” (Madison Magazine) and his playing has been described as “virtuosic but eloquent” (The Isthmus). Mr. Morris is the Principal Clarinet of the Pacific Symphony where he holds the Hanson Family Foundation Chair. Previously he held the Principal Clarinet positions with the Sarasota Opera Orchestra and the Madison Symphony Orchestra. Recent engagements as soloist include performances with the Downey Symphony, Madison Symphony Orchestra, Burbank Philharmonic, West Lost Angeles Symphony and with the Colburn Orchestra in a performance of John Adams’ Gnarly Buttons directed by the composer. Read more…
The Houston Symphony announces clarinetist Joseph Morris as the winner of the 42nd annual Ima Hogg Competition, one of a few annual nationwide multi-instrument competitions. The announcement was made in front of a live audience on Saturday, June 3, after the finals concert at Rice University’s Stude Concert Hall.
A partnership between the Houston Symphony League and the Houston Symphony, the prestigious competition identifies and supports outstanding young instrumentalists and their pursuit of careers in music. Chaired by Barbara McCelvey, this year’s Ima Hogg competition attracted nearly 80 candidates ranging from ten instruments and a wide variety of nationalities.
The Grace Woodson Memorial Award was presented to Morris by John and Tracy Dennis in memory of John Dennis’ grandmother, a close friend of Miss Ima Hogg. A 2012 graduate of USC’s Thornton School of Music, Morris took home a cash prize of $25,000 and a gold medal, in addition to earning a solo appearance with Houston Symphony at the Donor and Subscriber Appreciation Concert on Wednesday, July 12th, at Jones Hall.
- 2017 Ima Hogg Competition
- Pacific Symphony Principal Clarinet
- Copland Clarinet Concerto with Madison Symphony Orchestra: News and Reviews
- Madison Symphony Orchestra’s 2015-16 Season To Feature Principal Clarinetist Joseph Morris in Copland’s Clarinet Concerto
- Review: Finzi Clarinet Concerto in Middleton, Wisconsin
- Review: Madison Symphony Orchestra 2014-15 Season Opening Concert
- Madison Symphony Orchestra 2014-15 Season Opener Features Principal Musicians
- Review: The 25th Token Creek Chamber Music Festival
- Joseph Morris to Join the Sarasota Opera as Principal Clarinet in 2015