Joseph Morris, 24, is an emerging clarinetist equally at home as soloist, chamber musician and orchestral performer. He has been the Principal Clarinet of the Madison Symphony Orchestra since 2013, and this season he joins the Sarasota Opera as Principal Clarinet. Recent engagements as soloist include performances with the Downey Symphony, Burbank Philharmonic, West Los Angeles Symphony, and with the Colburn Orchestra in a performance of John Adams’ Gnarly Buttons directed by the composer as part of the LA Philharmonic’s Minimalism Festival. Mr. Morris is currently the clarinet faculty member at the Luzerne Music Center, where he also performs in the Luzerne Chamber Music Festival. Read more…
Clarinetist Joseph Morris is Splendid in Middle Community Orchestra’s 2014 Holiday Concert
“[Gerald Finzi's] splendid Concerto for Clarinet and Strings was the astute choice of soloist Joseph Morris, the dazzling young clarinetist currently gracing the Madison Symphony Orchestra. Morris proved a virtuosic but eloquent champion of this witty and imaginative work. He was properly assertive in the opening movement, and really swinging in the playful rondo-finale. But he was particularly appealing in the beautiful middle movement, in which the orchestra’s string players demonstrated their progress as a handsomely focused ensemble.
There are not that many important clarinet concertos, much less great ones. But Morris and Kurr have allowed us to hear a great one, and one that should be placed up there close to Mozart’s masterpiece.”
- John W. Barker, The Isthmus
Read the full article here.
- Review: Madison Symphony Orchestra 2014-15 Season Opening Concert
- Madison Symphony Orchestra 2014-15 Season Opener Features Principal Musicians
- Review: The 25th Token Creek Chamber Music Festival
- Joseph Morris to Join the Sarasota Opera as Principal Clarinet in 2015
- Clarinet Faculty at Luzerne Music Center
- WPR’s “The Midday Show” featuring Joe Morris
- Review: MSO Opening Concert “Orchestral Masterworks”
- Morris to Join the Madison Symphony Orchestra as Principal Clarinetist
- Live Recordings from Summer 2013